Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Definition of Insanity

I have this thing about top down raglan sweaters. I want them to be something that I can do. They have so much going for them - you can try them on as you go and adjust fit and then just wear them once you've finished them without too much post-knitting work. In theory they are great. But it's a miracle when it actually works out.

Other knitters swear by them I know. But I cannot make them work. I think it's because I'm so tempted by the idea that I can fit as I go that I don't devote enough time to measuring my gauge swatch carefully so inevitably a couple of rows in (or 20 or 30) I find that I am totally messed up. Ack.

Which is exactly what happened to me yesterday. And given my penchant for thinner yarns, I was about 40 rows in before I discovered that it was both too narrow and too long for where it ought to be. I was so frustrated that the piece took an immediate dip in the frog pond.

Sigh, I guess it's back to set in sleeves for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment