Friday, October 28, 2011

Getting Regular

No, this is not a post about fibre intake. I'm talking about posting regularly. Even though I'm finding these exercises in contemplating my design process very edifying, it's really taking a toll on my ability to concentrate on actually doing designing. So I've decided that I'm still going to do those posts but intersperse some posts about work I'm doing.

To get into the spirit of that I'm going to post some sketches I worked up.


I worked up this little cropped cardi partially because I really thought that it would be cute to transition warmer weather dresses to cooler climes and partially because I had been watching Sabrina, the Teenage Witch (don't judge me for my TV choices) and was channeling the late 90s. 

I think it's cute. I'd wear it but it's a little unseasonable at the moment. I think it really would look great with the right dress. That being said it's not what I usually design. I'm not usually into cropped things. Regardless of what happened in the 90s, I just think that there are so few people who can really pull off a look that is designed to accentuate the stomach.

In terms of making this a pattern, I think it has some potential. It would be a quick knit. Not too challenging, but not dull because of the patterning. You wouldn't need the amount of yarn that you would for a full length sweater, so someone might be able to use some more splurgy yarn. Plus it's quicker so someone might make it for a gift. 

The verdict? I might make it but sometime later. I think it's not really the season. I really do think it's cute and might even be able to get past my dislike of cropped things.
This jacket was inspired by my post about Balenciaga. I just loved the sleeves on that first jacket. I adore this jacket. It's super cute and just a little bit unique. I want to wear this with a pair of jeans and some kick-butt boots.

In terms of pattern making, I am on the fence about this one. It would definitely be flattering on lots of people and even though it does have some more challenging design elements like the pleating and the sleeves, it would be done in a very simple stitch - either a stockinette or a seed stitch - so it would be very approachable. The simple stitch would make it easier to size. But the bottom of the piece would be BORING to knit. 

The verdict? I love (!) this jacket and I want to make it. We'll see when I get to it. Hopefully soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment